LGBT Senior Advocate
OPENING AT OUTREACH LGBT COMMUNITY CENTER
OutReach is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. LGBTQ people, people of color, women, seniors, and individuals with a disability are encouraged to apply.
This position is perfect for retirees looking to work a few hours a week. Please feel free to share, print, and distribute widely!
Position: LGBT Senior Advocate
Company: OutReach LGBT Community Center
Supervised by: OutReach Program Director
Location: Madison and Dane County, WI
Start date: Immediate upon hire
Employment term: Regular
Type: 20 hours/ week, half-time
Hours: Mostly week day hours, must be available for some weekend hours. OutReach’s main office hours are Monday – Friday Noon-8pm.
Benefits: Holiday and vacation pay, 50% health insurance covered, travel reimbursements, other elective benefits available.
Required education: Degree in Human Services field or equivalent experience
Position Overview: The LGBT Senior Advocate position is funded through grants from the City of Madison and Dane County. The position works within the senior-service field and is responsible for:
- Conducting trainings and presentations to senior service providers in LGBT-affirming practices
- Meeting and collaborating with other senior service providers on LGBT-affirming practices
- Reaching out to and advocating for LGBT seniors in the Madison and Dane County area to refer them to appropriate and necessary services in the area
- Focusing on cooperating with and referring to City of Madison and Dane County senior coalitions
- Regularly meeting with directors and program staff to develop referral for services for LGBT seniors
- Keeping up to date on relevant legal and legislative changes pertaining to LGBT seniors
- Attending any trainings, with Program Director approval, that pertain to position
- Grant reporting and program statistic/demographic tracking
- Experience, knowledge, and demonstrated understanding and commitment of and to the LGBTQ community, especially LGBTQ seniors
- Experience and knowledge of senior service and non-profit providers in Dane County and Madison
- Commitment to diversity and inclusion in programming
- Strong independent work ethic, both orally and in writing
- Ability to stay organized while multi-tasking work load in 20-hours a week
- Superior ethics and boundaries when engaging with clients, the community and OutReach staff and volunteers
- Possession of valid driver’s license and ability to use own vehicle for travelling for work
- Some experience in training/presenting to large groups of people
- Knowledge and experience in Microsoft programs, usage of email programs, and basic technology skills to use for reporting program statistics
- Bilingual, bicultural, and/or fluency in ASL a plus, but not necessary!
- 70% - Training, meeting, and connecting with the community on issues pertaining to the senior LGBTQ community
- 20% - Meet with individual clients connecting them to services, attending LGBT Senior Alliance Steering Committee meetings, program grant reporting
- 7% - Attend OutReach events, staff meetings and LGBT Senior Alliance events, meet with Program Director for program updates
- 3% - General office maintenance
- This position must comply with City of Madison and Dane County funding requirements which will be discussed during interview
- Collaborate and work well with OutReach staff and the community-at-large
Please send resume no later than February 13th to Steve Starkey, Executive Director, at email@example.com or mail to c/o Steve Starkey, 2701 International Lane, Suite 101, Madison, WI, 53704.
Please no phone calls about this position.