Action Alert for Dec. 21, 2016
Action Alert 1: The Best Democracy Money Can Buy/Voting Rights Expert Discussion
Action Alert 2: Public Hearing - Richfield Dairy CAFO Permit Renewal
Action Alert 3: Building winnable tactics
Action Alert 4: Sign Up for the Freeze for Peace Run!
Action Alert 1: The Best Democracy Money Can Buy/Voting Rights Expert Discussion - Madison
Background: The Best Democracy Money Can Buy: A Tale of Billionaires & Ballot Bandits is a documentary unlike any other with appearances from Shailene Woodley, Rosario Dawson, Willie Nelson, Ed Asner and Detective Duo Ice T & Richard Belzer. Following the film, Analiese Eicher, voter rights expert and Program and Development Director for One Wisconsin Now, and Molly McGrath, national voting rights and voter ID expert, will take questions and discuss voter suppression here in Wisconsin!
Take Action: The film and discussion will take place on Wednesday, January 4, 2017 at 7:30 PM - 9:30 PM at Point Ultrascreen Cinemas,7825 Big Sky Dr, Madison, Wisconsin 53717. In order for this screening to happen, 60 tickets must be reserved by noon on December 27. Attendees are not charged until that threshold is met.
Check out the event on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/1341857539167116/
Reserve your seats here: https://gathr.us/screening/18819 Tickets cannot be purchased from the theater.
Watch the official trailer here: https://vimeo.com/18280363
Contact for more info: Lindsey Lemmer, Lindsay@LindsayLemmer.com or 608-217-5217
Action Alert 2: Public Hearing: Richfield Dairy CAFO Permit Renewal - Adams
Background: The DNR just put Richfield Dairy’s renewal WPDES permit up for public notice. You can see the notice, draft permit, and supporting documents by clicking here. In speaking with the DNR, we were told that everything is essentially the same as last time, as far as what’s in the nutrient management plan and application.
In reviewing the notice and draft permit we noted a few things:
1) This permit contains NO animal unit cap—not even the large cap of 6,270 animal units that the dairy had advocated for last year. This is obviously very disappointing, but not surprising given the current orientation of the DNR and DOJ.
2) The DNR is retaining groundwater sampling at the production site, but as before, there is no groundwater sampling where manure is spread.
3) The DNR has kept bad language about alternative concentration limits (ACL). So frustrating…This allows the dairy to get higher limits for groundwater quality standards if upgradient water (i.e. groundwater flowing into the site) shows higher levels of contamination. The DNR said it can insert these ACLs into the permit without further notice, even though they acknowledged during the hearing that this was not good language and they would provide public notice.
Take Action: In 2017, we need your continued activism to protect water quantity and water quality in Wisconsin.
- We need you to contact your legislators about bad groundwater legislation.
- We need you to push back against the bad Attorney General Opinion and support the DNR in issuing effective, science-based high capacity well permits.
- We need you to comment on the proposed Richfield Dairy draft permit.
The DNR has scheduled a public hearing on Tuesday, January 10, 2017, at 2 PM at the Adams County Community Center. Written comments would be accepted for 7 days after the hearing.
Contact for more info: Midwest Environmental Advocates, 608-251-5047
Action Alert 3: Building winnable tactics - Milwaukee
Background: On January 14, Saturday, 12 PM-4 PM there will be a Picket Training, involving discussion, presentation and role playing that builds winnable tactics, developed out of experience by Minnesota IWW. This will be in the large meeting room of the Zablocki Library, 3501 W. Oklahoma Ave.
Take Action: Fb event: https://www.facebook.com/events/1117924558302765/
Contact for more info: Jacob Glicklich, firstname.lastname@example.org
Action Alert 4: Sign Up for the Freeze for Peace Run! - Madison
Background: Supporting Food Programs for Dane County’s Sister Peace Community in San Jose de Apartado, Colombia.
Take Action: January 28th, 2017, Vilas Park Shelter, Madison, WI. 12:00 p.m. - 5K Run/Walk. 1:00 p.m. 10k Run
Sign up online at: http://FreezeforPeace.itsyourrace.com/
Contact for more info: COLOMBIA SUPPORT NETWORK, 29 East Wilson St. Suite 202 Madison, WI 53703 http://colombiasupport.net